Thursday, July 2, 2009

0 to 167 kms in 4 hours

When I decided to go for a full blast 150 km trip from home to Trivandrum seldom did I know what was in store. Hours of convincing acts, before parents said yes. It’s difficult to make them understand that you are old enough to travel on your own. Considering the fact that I’m yet to put some decent miles on the odometer, they have a point. But as applicable to all humans, a hyper-excited mind is deaf to anything which goes against its wishes. I’m human.

What’s with all the excitement? The sights that caught my fancy en route during several trips did made me enthusiastic for a bike ride with scheduled pit stops. Pit stops which would function as “pic” stops too. I even went through the trouble of memorizing the names of all the places where I’d get down and shoot. But as the wise loser once said, man proposes, God disposes. And He did dispose it all.

Rain rain, go away, come again another day. But the rain gods were involved in other jobs and chose not to listen to my prayers. Drenching me at times with showers of blessings. With a backpack which weighed twice as much as I was when I was born, definitely my spine was in the interest of quitting. The less said about the least offending butt. I must say this - it went numb.

The list of good subjects which demanded to be shot is endless. A dozen damaged cars and trucks of all shapes and sizes filled up the sides of the road, which would make anyone scared of going beyond 30kph. A mosque which bears a close resemblance to the Taj Mahal, the rusted shell of a van, half buried in the mud, a deteriorating barge which still stood above the water as waves lashed out on its rusted sides, and miles of tree and coast lined roads craved to be photographed. I had a plan for each one when we drove past them previously. All went down the drains along with the rains. I was more worried about kissing the roads in a bad skid than about putting my eyes and the camera’s capabilities to the test.

That doesn’t mean that I didn’t shoot at all. A couple of frames did make their way onto the camera’s sensor. A few clicks at a beach and a quick stop pic of the Taj Mahal look alike mosque, that’s all.

A couple of close calls and hours of silent riding made up the trip which took all of 4 hours. Please don’t ask the receiving party on how I looked at the end of the road trip. It wasn’t the best way to turn up at any place. Thankfully, no one judged.

No comments:

Post a Comment