Friday, July 3, 2009

Random thoughts on the new Potter flick

Adding Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince to the "Must-see movies in July" list is like the whole experience of being mugged. For me, that is. An equivalent of being forced to do something as you have a gun pointed at your head or a knife getting close and personal with your neck.
I'm not a follower of either the books or the movies which followed suit. However I can appreciate a movie which is good. A couple of them were entertaining with their inherent sweetness coupled with a sense of adventure and magic. But as the series progressed the frames turned darker and grim. I don't mind that since I do enjoy dark movies, as long as they are gripping. Point to note is that Harry Potter is children's literature. But somehow the failure of the second installment of the "kids element preserved" Chronicles of Narnia has given us all new insights on what the audience, kids and adults alike prefer more. Darkness, grittiness and complexities surrounding their favourite characters, just for the sake of it.
I did watch some of the movies and while some directors managed to make it entertaining, others brought in the pseudo complex themes. With Half Blood Prince, the crew has gone ahead and shouted that very same line that you hear on the release of every sequel, "this one is huge, this one is more complex, this one is the best in the series." If you say so. I won't be judging those lines with a movie ticket.
Whatever thoughts I may harbour in my mind, the new movie is definitely going to break some box office records and will prompt a gang of critics to speak volumes on the its excellence. No one will be interested in betting against that.

No comments:

Post a Comment